Deadline: February 12th, 2020
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfil all of the following requirements:
- Age: You must be at least 14 years old by the application deadline (12 February 2020) in order to be considered. Please note that a typical YYAS student is between the ages of 15 and 18.
- English: You must be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Citizenship: You must be a citizen or permanent resident of an African country. YYAS will also accept applications from refugees living in an African country.
- School location: You must currently attend school in an African country.
- Graduation date: Applicants must have a term to a full academic year to complete high school as at August 31, 2020. In other words, if you attend school in the Northern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by latest May/June 2021. If you attend school in the Southern Hemisphere, you must be graduating secondary school by earliest November/December 2020 BUT no later than November/December 2021. Students who will graduate secondary school before August 2020 are NOT eligible to apply.
If you are currently in your final year or term of secondary school, have already graduated secondary school, or are a university student, then you are NOT eligible to apply.
Step 2 Review the YYAS application required components.
Step 3 Review a PDF of a sample blank application, and start preparing to answer as many application questions as possible.
Step 4 You will need to submit contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, and/or official at your school. Reach out to them as soon as possible to review the PDF of a sample blank application with you, and be sure to collect the information you need.
Complete the Application:
Step 5 Once our application opens by the end of October, then you will be able to click APPLY NOW to start your YYAS application. Be sure to write down your email and password to access the application at a later time. The deadline to complete and submit the application is 12 February 2020 @ 11:59pm EST.
Step 6 Check the “Review” page of the application to see if you are missing any required components, and re-visit any pages that require further information.
Step 7 Once your application is complete, click on the “Review” page. Next click on the “Submit Application” button at the bottom of the page.
Check your inbox for a YYAS confirmation receipt that indicates the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails usually arrive within 24-48 hours of submission, due to occasional delays in payment processing.
The Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students who plan to pursue tertiary education and wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.